Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Petition Carrier's Top Ten List

The Petition Carrier's Top Ten List

10. I have A LOT of signatures to get, so I can't stand around talking to you all day, so please just sign and let me go.

9. Some familiarity with the petition process and incumbent candidates would be helpful. This is not the time for me to teach you about civics. They are YOUR elected representatives and YOU are an enrolled party voter. Understand the process, read the newspapers, and stay informed.

8. I really don't want a tour of your house.

7. Is it too much to ask for your house to be identified by it's number - either on your house or mailbox? Seriously, if I were an EMT and you needed help, how am I supposed to find you? You may have lived there "forever", but not everyone knows who you are and where you live.

6. I know you don't like all the candidates on the petition, but it's who the Committee voted for, so just sign the damn petition. You are only creating more work for me if you want me to cross off certain candidates on the slate, so please work with me. I have to get the same number of signatures for them all.

5. Yes, I know politicians are bad and you have all the answers. If you are so much advice, why don't you run?

4. Maybe Cesar Milan could do some work with your dog(s). Your doorbell should be able to be rung without creating turning your dog(s) into the Tasmanian devil.

3. Please let ME fill in the address, it's totally legal and I'm not doing anything wrong by doing it. They address needs to be exactly as it appears to the Board of Elections, and they are very particular about the Town name - so please just let me do it.

2. If you enroll to vote as a Democrat, Republican, Working Families, Conservative or Independence Party Member, you should expect that someone will knock on your door and ask you to sign a petition for that party. We are sorry if we interrupt your dinner or whatever. Seriously, we only do this about once a year, is it THAT much of an inconvenience??? If you don't want anyone to knock on your door and bother you, switch your party to NON-ENROLLED.

1. And finally, if you "don't want to sign anything - EVER!!!!", see #2.

1 comment:

  1. I particularly like #5. It reminds me of Lei Isaacs. Perhaps if she didn't know people see her as an insane crone, she would run for office. But they do and she does!

    ReplyDelete